Our Guest Chef
Phoebe is the mastermind behind these delicious toasted cupcakes. She’s an avid baker to the point that it is easier for her to remember days she didn’t bake than to remember how many sweet treats she did!
- 8 Graham Crackers
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons and ¾ cup Granulated Sugar
- 4oz Bittersweet Chocolate
- Paper Cupcake Liners
- ¾ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¾ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Cup Cocoa Powder
- ½ Cup Whole Milk
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
- ⅞ Cup of Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 4-5 Cups Confectionary Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Teaspoon Tartar
- 3 Egg Whites
- A few teaspoons of Corn Starch
Make the Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Crush 8 graham crackers (about 1 cup) with a rolling pin inside of a ziplock bag. Place the crumbs in a bowl
- Add 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar to the bowl of crumbs
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter and mix the liquid into the crumbs along with a pinch of salt
- Chop the chocolate into thin pieces (don’t worry about small chunks they will melt away!)
- Place the paper liners in the tins
- Fill the bottom of each mold with 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of graham cracker crust mixture
- Press the crusts down and place 2 teaspoons of the chopped chocolate in each
- Place the tin and chocolate/crust mixture in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven after the allotted time. Let them cool. Leave the oven at 350.
Whip Up Some Batter
- Boil 1/2 cup of water
- Combine the dry ingredients:
- ⅞ cup of flour
- ½ cup of cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda and ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl:
- 1 egg
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients with the hot water. The resulting batter will seem very thin, don’t worry this will make us some very light and fluffy cupcakes 🙂
- Pour the batter into each tin (with the crust/chocolate at the bottom) until full
- Sprinkle graham cracker and chocolate on the tops
- Bake for 15-18min, remove from the oven and let sit and cool.
Prepare the Frosting
- Add ¾ cup granulated sugar, 1/3 cup of water, 3.5 cups confectionary sugar to a medium pot. Combine over high heat.
- Allow mixture to boil for 3 minutes then remove from heat
- Meanwhile, beat 3 egg whites.
- Add ¼ teaspoon Cream of Tartar and 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract and
- Pour the sugar water in while mixing on low
- Increase speed to high and beat for 5 minutes scraping sides as needed
- Add 1/2 cup confectionary sugar and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch until you achieve the desired thickness
Frost, Toast & Serve!
Check out the technique for frosting:
Its tough to put the graham cracker in after toasting. Put the chocolate and graham cracker in before but be careful not to burn the cracker or melt the chocolate! Instead, use a knife to block your garnish while you torch the frosting!