The perfect dessert for your hot date or to impress friends/family. This dish is simple, yet intelligent and artful. Best of all, it incorporates one of my favorite elements of dessert: the temperature differential. The warm and barely savory brioche french toast slightly melts the sweet frozen vanilla ice cream. The simultaneous temperatures and flavors create an amazing culinary experience.
- 1 loaf Brioche Bread(alternatively: challah)
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2-3 Eggs
- ½-1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Butter (per dish)
- ¼ cup Milk
- Chocolate Spread/Syrup (Optional)
- Nutella (Optional)
- Vanilla Extract (Optional)
- Whisk/beat the eggs and milk in a large mixing bowl with a bit of cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Optionally whisk in ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Slice the biroche into 1 inch thick pieces
- Heat a teaspoon of butter in a skillet over medium high heat
- Dip 1-3 slices in the egg batter, covering each side. Place the slice(s) on the skillet and cook in butter until the first side is golden brown. Flip and repeat for the other side
- Use the back of a spoon to smear nutella across the center of the plate from a large radius gradually thinning to a point
- Place the toasted brioche on the plate intersecting the line of nutella
- Microwave chocolate spread/syrup for 10 seconds
- Place one scoop of ice cream on top of the toasted brioche
- Use a spoon to drizzle the warm chocolate spread/syrup over the entire plate. Yes, even the empty white!
- Sprinkle cinnamon on the entire plate, focusing on the ice cream and toast.
Try adding in some nutmeg with the cinnamon to take this recipe to the next level!